Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Living Room Nightmare

Nightmare... I mean nightmare. Over a month passed between when we saw the place and when we moved in. This room is TINY for all of the functions we needed it to serve. It needed to be a living room, dining room, kitchen, and for a while was intended to be used as an office. This room's dimensions are something like 15' x 14' of active useable space. 

We had a little sofa issue. A few months prior we bought a leather love seat sight unseen on craigslist. It was cute, but unbelievable heavy and bulky. Bulky and this space do not mix. Not only did we carry this thing in and have to shove it through the little entrance, we got it inside and it looked awful. I was so sore the next day and angry at a piece of furniture. 

The next day I listed that bad boy back on craigslist. I needed its negativity out of my life. We were so distraught. What would we sit on? What was going to fit in this itsy bitsy space? I thought small was the way to go.  I was wrong. 

The boyfriend tirelessly and obsessively searched on craigslist for a new seating solution. We went to stores and quickly realized we couldn't afford anything over $500, which was everything we liked. 

Then, like a miracle, the boyfriend discovered something on craigslist. I was sort of over CL at this point. I was still mad at the last piece of furniture. But a Crate and Barrel belgium linen sofa that was barely used for $400? Could this be real? The answer is YES. 


BEFORES!!

...continuing the sofa story. It was beautiful. Near perfect condition and it feels like sitting on a cloud. The only problem... It was too big to get in the door. We rented a Uhaul truck and got it all the way to our new place before we realized the angle prevented us from getting the damn thing inside. My genius solution... saw two legs off. So a quick trip to Home Depot and we were back in business. We sawed the legs off and got it through the door. Then we reattached the legs. I'll save that story for another day. But hello! This sofa was originally $2200. SCORE!
 Dark Gray Essex Sofa-Crate and Barrel
Rug- West Elm (bought with birthday gift cards)

The chair also came from craigslist and is made by IKEA (here)
It originally had an old weird blue cover. We bought a new white cover for $30. See brand new chair to us!

Prints - Etsy


 HELLO Letters- Anthropologie
Book Shelves- IKEA



Cute Rugby Striped Storage - Container Store
TV Stand- Was originally the Go-Cart from CB2. But I hated the green and painted it white with high gloss paint for metal. 

Mixed Chairs- All Ikea ( Hopefully I will find some gems on CL to refinish and replace these something sturdier)

My many rolls of wallpaper and projects from school. 
The plyboard artwork was a DIY project. Instructions coming soon. 

This completes my tour of our new little house. I hope you liked it. 

Peace, Love, and Giraffes,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment